Australia Lose Spencer Johnson for UK Tour, Sean Abbott Replaces Him

Spencer Johnson Ruled Out of Australia's UK Tour; Sean Abbott Called Up for T20Is / Getty Images

Australia's white-ball tour of the UK has been hit by the withdrawal of left-arm pacer Spencer Johnson due to a side strain sustained while playing in The Hundred. 

Johnson, who debuted internationally in August 2023 and has taken six wickets in six T20Is, was set to fill in for the rested Mitchell Starc during the T20I leg of the tour.

Cricket Australia confirmed that Johnson will return home for further assessment and rehabilitation ahead of the Australian summer. 

Bowling all-rounder Sean Abbott, also featuring in The Hundred, has been called up to replace him. Abbott was initially selected for the ODI leg but will now also feature in the T20Is, joining Xavier Bartlett and Nathan Ellis in leading the pace attack.

Australia's tour kicks off with a three-match T20I series against Scotland from September 4-7, followed by a three-match T20I series and a five-game ODI series against England. 

Australia T20I Squad: Marsh (c), Abbott, Bartlett, Connolly, David, Ellis, Fraser-McGurk, Green, Hardie, Hazlewood, Head, Inglis, Stoinis, Zampa.

Australia's Schedule for the UK Tour:

T20I Series vs Scotland:

  • September 4: First T20I vs Scotland, The Grange, Edinburgh
  • September 6: Second T20I vs Scotland, The Grange, Edinburgh
  • September 7: Third T20I vs Scotland, The Grange, Edinburgh

T20I Series vs England:

  • September 11: First T20I vs England, Rose Bowl, Southampton
  • September 13: Second T20I vs England, Sophia Gardens, Cardiff
  • September 15: Third T20I vs England, Old Trafford, Manchester

ODI Series vs England:

  • September 19: First ODI vs England, Trent Bridge, Nottingham
  • September 21: Second ODI vs England, Headingley, Leeds
  • September 24: Third ODI vs England, Riverside, Chester-le-Street
  • September 27: Fourth ODI vs England, Lord's, London
  • September 29: Fifth ODI vs England, County Ground, Bristol

Live Scores