New Zealand Cricket Faces Setback as Key Batters Decline Contracts

Devon Conway will still be available for Test matches and the ICC Champions Trophy in Pakistan. / Getty Images

New Zealand Cricket has been dealt a significant blow with the decision by star batters Devon Conway and Finn Allen to decline central playing contracts. Both players have opted to prioritize lucrative opportunities in franchise cricket over national commitments.   

Conway will adopt a casual contract, allowing him to remain available for Test matches and the Champions Trophy while pursuing a stint in South Africa’s domestic T20 competition. Allen, on the other hand, will no longer be offered a contract and his availability for the national team will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.   

“Firstly, I’d like to thank New Zealand Cricket for their support through this process,” Conway said.

“The decision to move away from a central playing contract isn’t one I’ve taken lightly, but I believe it is the best for me and my family at this present time.

“Playing for the Black Caps is still the pinnacle for me and I’m hugely passionate about representing New Zealand and winning games of international cricket.

“I’m excited to be part of the upcoming Test squads for an important period in the ICC World Test Championship cycle and am looking forward to being involved in the ICC Champions Trophy in Pakistan next February if selected.”

New Zealand Cricket is now tasked with identifying replacements to fill the void left by these key players. 

Live Scores